Desktop Support Technician (Contract)
We are currently looking for a suitably qualified full-time contract Desktop Support/Help Desk Technician to join our team.
Please note: At this time we are accepting applications only from those candidates who are legally eligible to work in Canada (ie Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or currently hold an open work permit).
In this role, you will provide maintenance of the computer desktop environment by analyzing requirements, resolve problems, install hardware and software solutions, and support the internal IT help desk. You will be responsible for administration and internal support of the facility’s PCs, printers, and related equipment. Tasks include end user support, license tracking, and performing PC maintenance, upgrades and configurations. This person will be the sole desktop person in the office to provide support, and the breakdown of the responsibilities are as follows:
- 80% IT support (assisting with operating systems and hardware, fixing printers and peripherals, etc.
- 20% training internal end users on how to use their email and other internal applications/programs
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide helpdesk support and resolve problems to the end user’s satisfaction;
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT helpdesk;
- Monitor Service Desk for tickets assigned to the queue and process first-in first-out based on priority;
- Modify configurations, utilities, software default settings, etc. for the local workstation;
- Utilize and maintain the helpdesk tracking software;
- Document internal procedures;
- Ensure each workstation has a computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, and any additional specialized equipment;
- Install, test and configure new workstations, peripheral equipment and software;
- Maintain inventory of all equipment and software and software licenses;
- Manage PC setup and deployment for new employees using standard hardware, images and software;
- Perform timely workstation hardware upgrades as required;
- Monitor overall health of systems;
- Investigate and resolve hardware issues arising with desktops and servers;
- Investigate and resolve non-production software issues on workstations and servers;
- User Management (Add, Delete, Change)
Education, Experience and Skills Required
- Background in Linux (CentOS, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian)
- Knowledge in Desktop/Workstation hardware configuration
- Ability to troubleshoot and understand hardware/software logs
- Critical thinking skills
- Experience with hardware troubleshooting
- Experience with writing technical documentation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
You Need to Be ...
- Able to follow direction and have a willingness to learn
- A team player
- Have a can-do attitude
- Able to work effectively unsupervised
The Embassy is a Canadian, Oscar-nominated production house, specializing in live-action production, post-production, and animation for feature films, television, and commercials.
We require team members who are able to work in a fast-paced environment to deliver an extremely high level of work.